Most babies suffer from diaper rash from time to time. Some babies experience it frequently while others only rarely have it. Diaper rash can appear red, bumpy, or even raw, and is usually painful for your baby. It is usually caused by long periods of trapped dampness on the skin or friction from a diaper or wipe. There are a few ways to prevent diaper rash and to help heal it.
- Change your baby’s diapers frequently. The less time moisture has to sit against your baby’s bottom the less irritated the skin will become.
- Try hypoallergenic disposable diaper wipes or try making your own wipes with ingredients that works with your baby’s skin. Some pediatricians recommend Water Wipes because they only have two ingredients: water and a drop of fruit extract.
- To minimize moisture on the skin from a wet diaper, apply a barrier cream to your baby’s bottom each diaper change. Aquaphor baby healing ointment and Vaseline work well.
- Use a cream or balm to prevent diaper rash. We recommend EmBeba diaper and all over balm as opposed to many others that contain harsh or potentially harmful ingredients. This balm can be used all over your baby’s face and body!
Healing Diaper Rash
- Pause on the disposable diaper wipes and wash your baby’s bottom with mild baby soap and water. This will be gentler on your baby’s skin. When the rash starts to fade, slowly introduce the wipes again until your baby’s bottom is completely healed.
- At bath time, use mild baby soap and warm water to wash your baby’s bottom. Once washed, gently pat completely dry with a soft towel and liberally slather a diaper rash ointment to the affected area.
- If your baby has a rash, use a diaper rash cream with zinc oxide such as Desitin, Triple Paste, or Aquaphor Baby 3-in-1 Diaper Rash Cream.
- Consider natural remedies such as olive oil, coconut oil, or even breastmilk.
If your baby’s rash becomes serious or is recurring, be sure to speak with your pediatrician about treatment and prevention options. Food sensitivities and allergies can sometimes cause diaper rash.
Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny Services
Night wakings can be exhausting for parents and lack of sleep can leave parents feeling scattered and foggy. An overnight newborn care expert provides care so sleep deprived parents can get a good night of sleep. Your baby needs sleep and so do you.
Your Newborn Care Expert will care for your infant and create a stimulating environment that will help foster your baby’s development.
Our trained professionals can teach you how to best care for your baby. Many parents have questions about how to bathe their babies, how to swaddle, or a host of other questions. We also offer a variety of breastfeeding support and lactation services designed to help support and maximize your breastfeeding experience.
One in four children under the age of five has a sleep issue. Most children’s sleep issues are behavioral and not medical. If your child is struggling with sleep issues, you are not alone!
The care of your children is our highest priority. Connecting families with warm, responsible, and trustworthy caregivers is what we do best. Our team will meet with your family, identify qualified caregivers, and hand-select the best candidates for you to meet with.