DIY puffy paint is so much fun. It feels great while painting with it and after, when it’s dry. The best part is that using the shaving cream doubles the amount of paint you get so it extends the length of the project. Are you interested yet? Okay, let’s learn how to make homemade puffy paint!
Materials you’ll need to Make Homemade Puffy Paint:
▪ Non-toxic, sensitive skin shaving cream
▪ Bowls and paint brushes
- Mix 1/4 cup of Elmer’s glue with 1/2 cup of shaving cream. Don’t worry when the shaving cream expands a little over the top of the 1/2 cup.
- Then if you want color, add 15 to 20 drops of washable paint. If you have liquid watercolor paint on hand or choose to use food coloring (remember it stains), you will only need a few drops to make a bold color.
- Stir it up until you get stiff peaks.
- Put out multiple colors and let the kids feel it as they design their work of art. Even though the shaving cream is non-toxic, please don’t let your little ones ingest it.
- Use up your paint that day. Unfortunately it doesn’t keep because the shaving cream deflates.
Activities to Create with Your DIY Homemade Puffy Paint
- Halloween Ghosts: Cut a black ghost out of construction or card-stock paper and offer white puffy paint with googly eyes to decorate your house for Halloween. Here’s a fun Halloween story to add to your afternoon!
- Animals: Whenever you have an extra piece of white cardboard hanging around, cut out an animal shape, letter, or anything that your kids are currently interested in. Then when they’re painting, you can extend their learning with the subject, such as discussing letters, shapes, or animal facts. You can incorporate a related book before or after the activity as well!
- Ice Cream Cones with Sprinkles: Cut out big circles, as the ice cream scoops, and glue them on top of one another atop of a brown cone. Let the kids choose the “flavor” coloring and at the end offer real sprinkles to drop on top! If your child is old enough ask them to practice drawing three big circles and work on their scissor skills by cutting out the circular scoops and triangular cone. Here is one of my favorite Mo Willems books about sharing ice cream to read while the kids are decorating their ice cream cones with their homemade puffy paint.
Don’t let the pandemic keep you down, learn other ways to have a blast this Halloween!
Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny Services
Night wakings can be exhausting for parents and lack of sleep can leave parents feeling scattered and foggy. An overnight newborn care expert provides care so sleep deprived parents can get a good night of sleep. Your baby needs sleep and so do you.
The care of your children is our highest priority. Connecting families with warm, responsible, and trustworthy caregivers is what we do best. Our team will meet with your family, identify qualified caregivers, and hand-select the best candidates for you to meet with.
Your Newborn Care Expert will care for your infant and create a stimulating environment that will help foster your baby’s development.
Our trained professionals can teach you how to best care for your baby. Many parents have questions about how to bathe their babies, how to swaddle, or a host of other questions. We also offer a variety of breastfeeding support and lactation services designed to help support and maximize your breastfeeding experience.
One in four children under the age of five has a sleep issue. Most children’s sleep issues are behavioral and not medical. If your child is struggling with sleep issues, you are not alone.