Around the age of two children start dramatic play, acting out what they see in their lives. They will start playing with baby dolls and pretend kitchen items. As they get a bit older their dramatic play becomes more in-depth. Watching or playing along with children as they act out everyday activities such as school, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and more is a great way to get some insight on what they’re thinking. You can also do this with a doll house or puppet theatre. If your child is having trouble interacting properly at preschool, act out appropriate ways with puppets. You don’t need to spend a fortune on a nice wooden puppet theater when you can easily make a DIY puppet theater right at home. If your kids are old enough ask them to help paint it once you have drawn an outline.
DIY Puppet Theater Instructions
- Gather the following materials while the kids are at school or napping (you may already have some at home): white trifold board, spare fabric, paint, foam brush, scissors/box cutter, string, and a hot glue gun.
- Cut a rectangle out of the top center part of the trifold board. It’s easiest with a box cutter (reference pictures).
- Now decide if you want to paint a scene, such as the grass and sky that I did or just one plain color. Do this on the white side, otherwise you will need three to four layers of paint to cover the lettering on the back.
- Measure and cut your fabric into a rectangle that is a bit larger than the rectangular hole you just cut out. Now, cut it into two equal pieces so they can be tied to the side just like theater curtains.
- When the paint is dry, lay down your board and hot glue the cloth to the back around the rectangle. Only hot glue the top and halfway down each side of the rectangle. Then pull the fabric over tightly and tie it with any type of string or ribbon.
- Okay, now what about puppets? Yes you can buy some, but why not make them with the kids to go along with your DIY puppet theater? Get creative with your puppets; mine have purple hair and green dog ears. To help younger kids create a mouth on the puppet you may want to hot glue a crease for them. Simply, put the sock puppet on your own hand, make a mouth between your four fingers and thumb, and glue the two corners of the mouth.
There are so many different ways to design your DIY puppet theater. Your kids will be so proud to be a part of the end result. After you’ve set up the theater and made puppets, you may have to show your children how to act with puppets. Once they get it, you can guide them in planing a show by helping outline the the beginning, middle, and end. After they have plenty of practice, you can set up a Zoom call with friends and family to present their masterpiece. Everyone will be in awe of your marvelous DIY puppet theater and homemade puppets!
Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny Services
Night wakings can be exhausting for parents and lack of sleep can leave parents feeling scattered and foggy. An overnight newborn care expert provides care so sleep deprived parents can get a good night of sleep. Your baby needs sleep and so do you.
Your Newborn Care Expert will care for your infant and create a stimulating environment that will help foster your baby’s development.
Our trained professionals can teach you how to best care for your baby. Many parents have questions about how to bathe their babies, how to swaddle, or a host of other questions. We also offer a variety of breastfeeding support and lactation services designed to help support and maximize your breastfeeding experience.
One in four children under the age of five has a sleep issue. Most children’s sleep issues are behavioral and not medical. If your child is struggling with sleep issues, you are not alone!
The care of your children is our highest priority. Connecting families with warm, responsible, and trustworthy caregivers is what we do best. Our team will meet with your family, identify qualified caregivers, and hand-select the best candidates for you to meet with.