Set you and your baby up for the best possible success by hiring a lactation consultant. Many insurance companies will reimburse you for one or more lactation visits. We’ll start by evaluating a full feeding session to ensure that your baby is getting as much milk as possible. A Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny lactation consultation will offer you tips on breastfeeding positions, how to increase your supply if needed, and much more. In addition, we can provide a full oral assessment of baby to rule out any tongue or lip ties that may be affecting feeding. Below are the top five reasons a Mom may want to hire a lactation consultant to support her breastfeeding journey.
How A Lactation Consultant Can Help You!
- Pain when feeding: Most times a few small changes in positioning can help avoid pain when breastfeeding. A lactation consultant can walk you through different positions and work with you to find the right one for you and your baby.
- Nipple damage: Having a licensed professional assess your breast and nipples will mean that you do not have to suffer unnecessarily.
- Pumping schedule: A lactation consultant can measure you so you’re using the correct flange sizes. Many times women are using the incorrect size, which affects the amount of milk you produce and also causes pain and friction to the nipple. No one wants that!!
- Weight gain concerns: Is baby not gaining enough weight? A lactation consultant can work with you to figure out why. Then we’ll comprise a plan to help your baby pack on those pounds.
- Preemie/NICU: These babies may need specialized feeding positions, as well as assistance with bottle and breastfeeding. A lactation consultant can help with all of this to ensure that their needs are fully met and they can thrive!
If you are a new or veteran Mom, Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny wants to help support you. We offer in-home, virtual, or phone lactation support from a certified lactation consultant. Review your options here or give us a call today.
About The Author
Olivia Wojcik, RN has a Bachelors of Science in Nursing from SNHU, summa cum laude. She is a Certified Lactation Consultant through ALLP and Reiki level II practitioner. Olivia is trained as a Sleep Coach and Newborn Care Expert with BBN&N. In addition she is the mother to a beautiful two year old girl.