How does Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny recruit caregivers?
Many nannies come to us as referrals from past clients or from trusted resources. We continually get childcare referrals from within our current nanny network. Our recruitment team is also actively involved in nanny associations within the industry. We also recruit through local colleges, on local job posting sites, and through our monthly nanny newsletters.
What are the Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny requirements?
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a High School Diploma (College preferred)
- Hold a valid Driver’s License
- Be a Non-smoker: includes e-cigarettes and vapes
- Have at least 3 years of previous professional nanny/teaching/nursing experience
- Be proficient in the English language
- Have positive references from all former employers and personal references
- Have a professional childcare resume/cv
- Be an individual whose true passion is working with children
- Be willing to make a commitment to a family
How does Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny screen candidates?
Boston Baby Nurse and Nanny conducts a comprehensive, rigorous nanny screening process. We only represent the finest career nannies that have impeccable references, experience, and character. We understand the importance of knowing you have the most trustworthy individual in your home caring for your children. That is why we make it our first and foremost top priority to fully screen and get to know each and every caregiver. These are the steps we take:
Step 1 – Thorough review of resume and applications.
Step 2 – Phone/Skype interview, resume review and online presence search.
Step 3 – In person interviews. Candidate engages in at least one in-person, behavior-based interview. This interview is designed to uncover how a nanny reacts under certain stressful conditions. It also provides us with information that helps us to identify what age child (children) the nanny is qualified to care for.
Step 4 – Call and check all references. We speak directly to each reference and employer.
Step 5 – Professional background search completed.
- National criminal search
- National sex offender search
- County criminal search – all counties lived in for the past 7 years
- Social security trace, alias search, address history and verification
- Motor Vehicle / Driving Record
What is the placement fee if I choose to hire a nanny through Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny?
Long Term Nanny Placement:
To begin the process we require a non-refundable $300 application fee. If you decide to hire a nanny through Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny the remaining balance of $4500 is due upon hiring your nanny.
Short Term Nanny Placement:
To begin the process we require a non-refundable $200 application fee. If you decide to hire a nanny through Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny the remaining balance of $1300 is due upon hiring your nanny.
How do I begin the process?
To begin your search please complete the online Family Nanny Application. Once we receive your family application we will email you an information packet and follow up with a telephone call.
What can I expect?
- An in-home consultation with one of our recruitment specialists is scheduled. The in-home visits:
-Make the search process a more personal experience.
-Help our team to better understand your family dynamics, the specific job requirements are, and your personal preferences.
- Job description is created. After the in-home visit we create a detailed job description for your family and our customized childcare search begins. We hand select only candidates that directly match your criteria. Families review detailed profiles on each candidate.
- Interviews are scheduled. Family and caregiver connect to schedule an interview. Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny follows up with family and the candidates to get confidential insight and feedback about the interview. We offer our expertise on any questions families have throughout the interview process and provide helpful interview questions and tips.
- Hiring the perfect nanny. Once you’ve identified the perfect nanny for your family the team at Boston Baby Nurse and Nanny is available to answer any questions you may have. Starting the new relationship with clear expectations and guidelines is the key to success in any nanny/family placement. We provide all the information you need to hire your nanny.
- Ongoing support. We offer ongoing childcare support to your family and your nanny.
When should I expect to meet potential nanny candidates?
We pride ourselves on being very selective in the hiring process and only represent the best. Finding a nanny can take between two weeks and two months depending on how many candidates you interview and the availability of the type of nanny you require at the time of your registration.
What is average hourly rate for a nanny?
Nanny compensation ranges from approximately $20-25 per hour. Factors such as experience, education, number of children to be cared for in addition to other job responsibilities such as housework, grocery shopping, and meal preparation are all factors that should be considered when determining your nanny’s compensation.
Are we required to pay overtime?
Yes. Massachusetts law states that “employers must pay overtime to workers who work more than 40 hours in any week. Overtime pay is at least 1.5 x the regular rate of pay for each hour over 40 hours.”
What benefits should we provide our nanny?
In order to foster a positive employer/employee relationship, many families choose to provide their nanny with benefits such as paid holidays, vacation, and sick time. Additional benefits include a health insurance contribution, guaranteed hours, and transportation reimbursement (i.e. MBTA pass).
What if the nanny we hire does not work out?
We want both the family and the nanny to be completely satisfied with the position. We work hard to create an ideal match but we understand that changes can occur. The best way to ensure a lasting relationship is to sign an employment agreement and have your nanny sign it as well. It is so important that we will help you find a replacement nanny free of charge if you request a change within the first 60 days of the hiring date if you have a signed agreement with your current nanny.
Complimentary Hiring Tools & Resources
When you choose to work with Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny, we will provide you with several tools and resources designed to help you make the best decision for you and your family.
- Nanny/Family Work Agreements/Contracts – a customizable work agreement that you can provide to your new nanny to detail her job description, house rules, benefits, etc.
- Preparing for Nanny Interview – a document that contains suggested interview questions and suggestions on what to look for during your interview.
- Candidate Portfolio – contain documents that help you to learn about each individual nanny candidate.
- Employment & Tax Consultation – to help you understand what Massachusetts domestic employment laws are. We can provide resources to help guide you through the hiring and employment process.