Choosing a pediatrician is a big decision and something you should start looking into before your baby is born. Most pediatricians have similar backgrounds and qualifications. But they may have different approaches to issues such as breast or bottle-feeding, vaccinations, circumcision, and introducing solid foods. You’ll depend on this person for advice as your raise your child. Therefore, it is important that you choose someone who you interact well with and who is understanding about your child’s needs.
Ask for Recommendations
It can be helpful to ask local family and friends for recommendations and even your OB/GYN. You can also research online about local pediatric practices. It can be helpful to meet with a few pediatricians before deciding which one may be the best fit for your family.
- What are the office hours and what do I do if my child is sick during the night or on weekends? Is there an advice nurse available when the office is closed? What are your pediatrician’s hospital affiliations should your baby need to be hospitalized?
- Is it a private practice where you will see the same pediatrician for most of your visits or is it a group practice where you will see different pediatricians? Most pediatricians work in a group practice and your child will see your primary pediatrician for scheduled monthly and annual visits but for sick visits they may see another doctor in the group.
- Does the office have breastfeeding support including the services of a certified lactation consultant? What is the protocol if you run into any breastfeeding issues?
- What is the immunization policy and schedule? It is important to discuss the various shots your baby will get, when they’ll be given and what they’re for.
- How many years of experience does the pediatrician have? If they are new to the field do they regularly consult with more experienced physicians?
It is a valuable use of time to research and interview a few pediatricians before making a choice. You will be visiting this person often and relying on them for advice so it is essential that you trust them and get along.
Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny Services
Night wakings can be exhausting for parents and lack of sleep can leave parents feeling scattered and foggy. An overnight newborn care expert provides care so sleep deprived parents can get a good night of sleep. Your baby needs sleep and so do you.
Your Newborn Care Expert will care for your infant and create a stimulating environment that will help foster your baby’s development.
Our trained professionals can teach you how to best care for your baby. Many parents have questions about how to bathe their babies, how to swaddle, or a host of other questions. We also offer a variety of breastfeeding support and lactation services designed to help support and maximize your breastfeeding experience.
One in four children under the age of five has a sleep issue. Most children’s sleep issues are behavioral and not medical. If your child is struggling with sleep issues, you are not alone!
The care of your children is our highest priority. Connecting families with warm, responsible, and trustworthy caregivers is what we do best. Our team will meet with your family, identify qualified caregivers, and hand-select the best candidates for you to meet with.