Summer is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, but it’s important to keep our babies safe from the sun’s rays. Babies under the age of six months are especially vulnerable to the sun’s harmful rays, so it’s important to take precautions to protect them. Here are a few sun safety tips to keep babies under six months of age safe from the sun this summer.
Infant Sun Safety
1. Dress your baby in lightweight, long-sleeved clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. This will help protect their delicate skin from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Try iPlay sun hats with UPF protection.
2. Avoid direct sun exposure between 10 am and 4 pm when the sun’s rays are strongest. If you must venture out during this time, follow sun safety by seeking out shaded areas and stay in the shade as much as possible.
3. Consider purchasing sunglasses that are designed specifically for infants. Sunglasses will help protect their eyes from the sun’s UV rays. Check out these sunglass by Cocosand that are polarized with UV protection.
4. Carry an umbrella or blanket to provide additional shade for your baby while outdoors. Fisher Price has a portable bassinet/play space for infants with mesh siding and a UPF canopy. Take a look at it here!
5. Talk to your pediatrician before applying sunscreen on your infant under 6 months of age. Sometimes if you are unable to find shade, a pediatrician will suggests using sunscreen on exposed skin (baby’s face). Be sure to use a sunscreen designed specifically for babies. Additionally, clean off the sunscreen with a wet washcloth when you come back inside.
6. Keep an eye out for dehydration, such as fussiness, redness, and unusual amounts of crying. If you are outside on a hot day for over 90 minutes, be sure to hydrate your baby with breastmilk or formula.
Sunscreen for Babies Under the Age of 6 Months
As any parent knows, protecting your little one’s delicate skin is a top priority. When it comes to sun protection, it’s important to be extra careful, as newborns are especially vulnerable to the sun’s harmful UV rays. Using the right sunscreen is essential for protecting your newborn from the sun’s harmful UV rays. By choosing an organic sunscreen, you can be sure that your little one is well-protected without having to worry about harsh chemicals or fragrances damaging to a newborn’s delicate skin. Below are great sunscreens options for your infant from the Environmental Working Group.
Top picks for baby sunscreen:
By following these simple, infant sun safety tips, you can help keep your baby safe from the sun this summer. Enjoy the sunshine with your little one, but remember to stay vigilant and protect their delicate skin from the sun’s harmful rays.